The Accra High Court yesterday adjourned to June 21, the case in which the Ghana Police Service is seeking to stop the planned #FixTheCountry protest, in Accra.

The Supreme Court, earlier last week, quashed an order of the High Court barring the protest, but there was another motion against the protest, pending at the High Court.  

Lawyers for convenors of the #FixTheCountry campaign were expected to file their affidavit in opposition, but failed to do so on time.

When the case was called, one of the lawyers, Tata Kosi, apologised for their inability to file the affidavit on time, explaining that they could not have “consensus with all the respondents.”

He said the affidavit in opposition was filed on Monday morning.

Mr Frederick Adu Gyamfi, Assistant State Attorney, said the state was not served with the respondent’s affidavits in opposition and that the state was minded to receive the response of the respondents.  

The planned protest had generated heated public discourse across the political divide.

The police had argued that it was not appropriate to hold the protest until such a time that restrictions on public gathering were lifted.

Meanwhile, one of the convenors of the protest, told journalists that they were still mobilising people for the planned protest against economic hardship in the country.

On May, the police secured an ex-parte injunction from the High Court to stop the planned protest, which had gathered momentum on social media.

In the restraining order issued against the protest, the High Court held that it was not appropriate to hold the protest until such time that COVID-19 restrictions on public gathering was lifted.

Displeased by the decision of the High Court, the organisers went to the Supreme Court which ruled in their favour. 

The campaigners contended that the decision of the High Court was unlawful as, under the High Court rules, injunctions granted without arguments by the affected persons (ex-parte) ought to last for just 10 days.